At Our Lady’s, we believe that homework is a partnership between school and home: teacher, parent and student each have responsibilities.
We have a whole school approach to homework and aim to make it a rewarding and positive experience for students, teachers and families.
Homework helps students by complementing and reinforcing classroom learning, fostering good lifelong learning and study habits, and providing an opportunity for students to be responsible for their own learning.
This Homework Policy has been developed in consultation with the parents, teachers, students of Our Lady’s School and the Education Department Guidelines for Homework in the state of Victoria.
The Homework Program aims to be:
- coordinated with clearly communicated teacher expectations
- appropriate to the students’ skill level and age
- accessible to all students
- made up of interesting and relevant, open ended learning experiences
- inclusive of a range of recreational, family and cultural activities
- purposeful, meaningful and relevant to the curriculum
- supportive of all students by providing regular teacher feedback when needed
- a consolidation and revision of skills taught in the classroom
- nurturing the student’s sense of responsibility and facilitating independent learning and self-motivation
- developing the student’s self-discipline towards study. It recognises the fact that throughout life, each of us is required to put aside some leisure time in the pursuit of further study
- providing parents with an opportunity to become aware of some aspects of the curriculum